Here are a few events going on in and around Gettysburg, and at Civil War Tails!
Join us on Memorial Day to watch the annual Memorial Day Parade, beginning at 2:00 p.m. at Lefever Street and ending at the Soldiers’ National Cemetery. The parade marches past our building, and you are welcome to escape the sun and join us on our front porch! This is a special parade–the soldiers’ orphans who used to live in our house and the original orphanage next door would march in the parade to the cemetery where many of their fathers–Union soldiers who died in the war–were buried. The children of the Gettysburg school district carry on the tradition. Another highlight is seeing a restored Huey helicopter from the Vietnam War–and the veterans riding in it–thanks to Helicopter Applicators, Inc. of Gettysburg and the local American Legion Post 202.
Join us on Labor Day weekend for our Civil War Tails Anniversary Scavenger Hunt! We’ll be celebrating on Friday, Saturday, and Labor Day Monday with scavenger hunts for adults and kids (with prizes!), plus a discount on admission. Come join us for some fun and don’t forget to start your Christmas shopping (or list!) while you’re here!
Come enjoy a bit of the Christmas season in Gettysburg!
- Kick the season off with “A Gettysburg Christmas Festival,” a time of music, fun games, shopping, decorations, carriage rides, hot cocoa, and much more. Check out the website for this year’s dates and more information. And don’t forget to stop by Civil War Tails! We’ll be open on Friday and Saturday with a Civil War Tails Christmas Scavenger Hunt, discounted admission, four Christmas trees, and 8,000 cats worth of Christmas cheer!
- You can also check out Destination Gettysburg’s Events Calendar for various special activities throughout the month of December. Some of our personal favorites are:
- The Shriver House – tour the house and see what several Christmases were like for the Shriver family during the Civil War
- “A Christmas Carol,” presented by Totem Pole Playhouse and shown in the Majestic Theater in the center of Gettysburg
- Eisenhower Farm – see the house decorated as Ike and Mamie would have celebrated Christmas. Tickets and shuttle are available at the Gettysburg National Military Park Visitor’s Center
Civil War Tails at the Homestead Diorama Museum, LLC 785 Baltimore Street, Gettysburg, PA 17325 info@CivilWarTails.com (717) 420-5273